Thursday, March 18, 2010

Monster Month

I'm now in the monster month.  The month before the big race.  It's a make or break time really.  If I injure myself now I'm legit screwed.  If I don't complete the really really long beast runs I'm screwed.  This is where the real committment is tested.  I've got a 15 miler this weekend...This is unchartered territory for me.  I'm getting into the distance where you need to fuel up and get some source of energy during the run.  Experts say that the human body can run continuously for about 2 hours before it becomes majorly deprived of adequate food and energy storage.  Last week was the first week I hit the continuous 2 hour mark. With  that in mind I'm going to have to learn how to fuel during a run-something I've never done.  I'm the person that never ever stops at the water station. 
Something weird is going on with me since I've started training... I have cravings for crap food more than I ever have.  I guess it may be explained by the natural need for my food intake to increase along with blood sugar levels being slightly different than usual.  Either way, I'm trying to not give in but sometimes I do.